The Right Athletic Shoe Makes all the Difference in Safe Sports Training
Any craftsman will tell you that you need to use the right tools for the job that you are doing, not just to do the job right, but also for safety reasons. Making sure that you are using the right sports equipment while training follows the same philosophy. One of your most important “training tools” is your footwear. Wearing the right shoe can make all the difference when it comes to practicing safe sports training.
Selecting the Right Athletic Shoe
Wearing properly fitted athletic footwear can help prevent injuries and enhance your performance. Follow these tips when selecting your athletic shoes:
- It may cost a little more, but try to buy your athletic shoes from a sporting goods store. The staff can direct you toward the type of shoe that is appropriate for your sport. They will also help you choose shoes that fit properly.
- Buy athletic shoes later in the day or after you have worked out. Your feet will be at their largest. Wiggle your toes around to make sure you have enough room in the shoe.
- There should be no break-in period with your shoes. The right shoe should feel comfortable as soon as you put them on and walk around. Run a few steps when you try a new pair of shoes on to make sure they are comfortable.
- Make sure that your shoe firmly grips your heel. The heel of your foot should not be sliding around or popping out of your shoe when you run or walk.
Buy Sports Specific Shoes
Shoes aren’t meant to multitask. For safe sports training, always select shoes that are geared toward the sport that you are playing:
- If you play tennis or basketball, purchase a shoe that has a sturdy sole and is intended for court sports.
- If you walk, purchase a shoe that is meant for walking and provides good shock absorption.
- If you jog, you will want a shoe that is light, flexible, and cushioned but is capable of keeping your heel stable.
Taking the time to select the right shoes for your sports activities will help ensure safer sports training and allow you to avoid injuries, including shin splints or sore heels that can keep you on the sidelines.
For more safe sports training tips, check out these articles:
3D Sports Medicine & Orthopaedic Center, located in Indian Harbour Beach, FL, is here to help you recover from sports-related injuries. Contact us for an appointment today.